Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tabla Rasa

Garden Plot
April 18, 2012

 Our big garden plot is roughly 35 feet by 70 feet (I think.)  This is the size of our house lot when we lived just outside of Seattle.  This summer will be the fifth summer we have cultivated this plot.  We're planning to put a greenhouse in that patch of grass in the picture above.  (stay tuned on that.)

Usually we plant the garden just after the full moon in May.  This is usually when the frost is gone.  However, I think this year may do away with that wisdom.  We have had very warm weather here and I don't believe there has been a frost for over a week...making it about a month ahead of schedule.  I might take a chance and plant the garden soon...maybe.  But this early warm weather is scary.


Not so scary is my favorite apple tree.  We canned some apples from this tree last summer and I think today might be a good day to make a pie.

What I love about this tree is the defiance of gravity.  She bends down but never quite touches the ground.  When we moved here in 2007 she was dieing.  There were no apples for about the first two years...(well the second fall there were some apples but...) Then for the past two years this tree has gone crazy with apple making.  And she is rewarded for her defiance.  They are the best apples of all the trees.  (Ssshhh, don't tell the other apple trees as I like them too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment