Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Genocides and Manduca Sexta

It is the time of year when the Tobacco Hornworms via for my tomatoes.  These creatures are kind of amazing and I do have some guilt when I dunk them into the soapy water jars of death.  But they eat my tomatoes.  Nobody eats my tomatoes unless they have my permission.

Tobacco and Tomato Hornworms become Hummingbird Moths.  So I don't eliminate all of them.  But if I were to not do anything, the voracious eaters would decimate my entire garden.  They will, left unchecked completely strip a tomato plant of all leaves and fruits leaving only pathetic stems.

It is lush here in Maine this time of year.  The air is thick and dense but green and vibrant nevertheless.  It is the conjunction of Hornworms and the air quality that remind me of Thomas Disch's book "The Genocides." I know that I am on rather shaky ground in my hornworm elimination...most poignantly after reading this lovely little book.

No comments:

Post a Comment